At present, Counterpoint Music Therapy is serving children and adolescents aged 5 and up with most types of special needs (unfortunately, our current clinical space is located on the third floor and there is no elevator, therefore, clients must be ambulatory) . A typical experience at Counterpoint Music Therapy takes place in 12 week periods, including one assessment session and 11 weekly one-to-one sessions.
A music therapy assessment is a tool used to get to know a child in order to set the goals which the weekly music interventions will be targeting.
An intervention plan with long-term goals and shorter-term objectives will be established based on the results of the assessment session.
After the child has completed an eleven week course of 45-minute individual music therapy sessions, a treatment summary will be shared with the care-giver to discuss the results and determine further action.
What to expect from the service at Counterpoint Music Therapy?
Counterpoint Music Therapy provides quality service, with a trained music therapist in a safe environment, at a convenient location:
- Sessions that focus on the distinct strengths and needs of each child
- High-quality aesthetic musical experiences
- Clinical documentation tracking progress on each objective
- Structured sessions in which children can feel secure
- Full-size keyboard, nylon string-guitar, and a broad variety of percussion and wind instruments
- Therapy space is calm, clean, well-maintained with a comfortable waiting room, in which care-givers can listen-in on sessions
- Landon Coleman is an MTA (accreditation in progress) with a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check, ethics training, experience in the field, and a professional demeanour
- Counterpoint Music is open to making things work! Contact Landon to discuss how music therapy might benefit your child!
- Sessions are open to typically developing siblings
- Easy access from the 417 (via Island Park Exit)
For more information see our Fee Schedule.